Subject: bug#37344: closed (Re: bug#37344: rcirc: nil gets interpreted as a nickname)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 11:02:03 +0000

Your bug report

#37344: rcirc: nil gets interpreted as a nickname

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37344: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37344
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37344: rcirc: nil gets interpreted as a nickname
From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Naïm Favier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 19:01:29 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 26.4

On 2019-10-07 06:55 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I have no objections; please go ahead.

I have committed the change to emacs-26. Thanks.

Subject: rcirc: nil gets interpreted as a nickname
From: Naïm Favier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:58:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: normal

Ever since I changed my nickname to "nil" on Freenode, I've been
getting occasional private messages from unknown users consisting of a
single empty CTCP ACTION. After a bit of investigating, it turned out
they all used rcirc. The situation was clear at that point: somewhere
in rcirc's source code, a nil value is being implicitly converted to a
string and used as the target of a PRIVMSG command.

The bug seems to be reproducible by issuing "/me" (without arguments)
inside a server buffer: the "nil" user on that server gets sent an
empty ACTION.

Suggested fix: in rcirc-send-privmsg, fail if target is nil. It might
be useful to check other places where the "%s" format is used, to
discover similar bugs.