Subject: bug#37334: closed (Re: bug#37334: 26.3; doc string of `backward-word')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 19:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37334: 26.3; doc string of `backward-word'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37334: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37334
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37334: 26.3; doc string of `backward-word'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 22:11:02 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 37334 notabug
thanks

> Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 11:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> This paragraph does not belong in the doc string of `backward-word':
> 
>  The word boundaries are normally determined by the buffer's
>  syntax table and character script (according to
>  'char-script-table'), but 'find-word-boundary-function-table',
>  such as set up by 'subword-mode', can change that.  If a Lisp
>  program needs to move by words determined strictly by the syntax
>  table, it should use 'backward-word-strictly' instead.  See Info
>  node '(elisp) Word Motion' for details.

I see no reason to claim this "doesn't belong", as it clearly _is_
relevant to word movement.  See also bug#22560 for some additional
background.

Subject: 26.3; doc string of `backward-word'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 11:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This paragraph does not belong in the doc string of `backward-word':

 The word boundaries are normally determined by the buffer's
 syntax table and character script (according to
 'char-script-table'), but 'find-word-boundary-function-table',
 such as set up by 'subword-mode', can change that.  If a Lisp
 program needs to move by words determined strictly by the syntax
 table, it should use 'backward-word-strictly' instead.  See Info
 node '(elisp) Word Motion' for details.

At most, it should just say "See Info node '(elisp) Word Motion' for
information about word syntax and word boundaries" - or just "See Info
node '(elisp) Word Motion'".

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17763
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''