Subject: About 'latex-insert/close-block' in 'latex-mode'

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:31:05 +0200

Hello,

in 'latex-mode' (not AUCTeX) there are:

- 'latex-insert-block' (function) & 'tex-latex-block' (alias)
   on 'C-c C-o' and 'C-c C-t';

- 'latex-close-block' (function) & 'tex-close-latex-block' (alias)
   on 'C-c C-e' and 'C-c /' and 'C-c ]'.

1.  Why so many key bindings?  Can we have 'C-c [' for "insert" and
'C-c ]' for "close" - and just that?  When I do 'C-c [' it's
"undefined", so maybe...

2.  When I use 'where-is' on both aliases I get (echo area, 2 lines):

tex-latex-block is not on any key;
  its alias latex-insert-block is on C-c C-t, C-c C-o

If I'm not mistaken, it says that 'latex-insert-block' is an alias for
'tex-latex-block' when it's completely otherwise.  So 2nd line should
rather say:

  it's na alias for latex-insert-block, which is on C-c C-t, C-c C-o

2.1.  Why the one char indent in 2nd line?

3.  In INFO 25.11.2 "LaTeX Editing Commands" for 'C-c C-o' alias
'tex-latex-block' is used and for 'C-c C-e' alias
'tex-close-latex-block' is used - why not real functions names:
'latex-insert-block' and 'latex-close-block'?  They would even sound
better (look at the name of the section).

4.  And then, after all, are those aliases needed at all?

S. U.

GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32) of 2019-04-13