Subject: Re: bug#37312: test failure in sed-4.7

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 09:54:42 -0500

On 9/5/19 6:01 AM, Oppe, Thomas C ERDC-RDE-ITL-MS Contractor via wrote:
> Dear Sir:
> 
> I saw a test failure in the "make check" phase of building sed-4.7.  The
> error was:
> 
> ../build-aux/test-driver: line 107: 405457 Aborted                 (core
> dumped) "$@" > $log_file 2>&1
> FAIL: test-symlink
> 
> I was building using gcc 6.3.0.

Insufficient details - you didn't tell us what your operating system
was.  It may be a bug in your libc, or a weakness in the gnulib test
that is trying to determine if your libc is POSIX-compliant.  The
correct fix will be updating gnulib (either to work around your broken
libc, or to fix the broken assumption in the gnulib test), and then
releasing a new sed with updated gnulib.

> 
> Is the test failure serious?

But in the meantime, how often do you really expect sed to be creating
symlinks?  This is probably safe to ignore in the context of using your
just-built sed.

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org