Subject: bug#37299: Observations regard bug #37299

From: Carl Winbäck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 13:37:07 +0200

Hello friends,

I was hit by this bug and have made some observations about it.

The bug affects some, but not all, Emacs ”distributions” for macOS.

These packages are affected by the bug: ”Emacs-26.3-universal.dmg” and
”Emacs-2020-03-26_01-40-23-fe6b8c91cb7a3c1959f7fb2b43f73cc7f7fc9fc3-universal.dmg”
from https://emacsformacosx.com/

Another package that is also affected is ”Emacs-26.3-modified-2.dmg”,
available at https://vigou3.gitlab.io/emacs-modified-macos/

However, I have also tried the package
”emacs-26.3-mac-7.9-10.14.4.zip”. That package is *not* affected by
this bug.  It’s available at
https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport or via homebrew.

The source itself seems to be available here:
https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/master/

So what conclusions can we draw from these facts? Apparently there are
clues here that could help us to find the bug.

According to the info in the file README-mac[1], that source
distribution is modified quite heavily compared to ”stock” Emacs. At
this point I don’t know what it does differently when it comes to
e.g. tramp mode or menu implementation.

Is there anyone who would like to take a guess about why that package
manage to avoid this bug?

[1] https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/master/README-mac