Subject: bug#37299: 26.3; Emacs on OSX crashes when clicking menu items while using tramp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 16:28:38 -0700

I am running emacs on Mac machine, when i connect to a remote machine
over tramp start using menu items, after few clicks emacs crashes.
Attached is the crash report from the mac's Console app

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20 Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109))
 of 2019-09-02 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*scratch*’ [6 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *Minibuf-0*’ [6 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*Messages*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *code-conversion-work*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *pdf-info-query--escape*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *Echo Area 0*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *Echo Area 1*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*debug tramp/ssh [email-masked]*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*tramp/ssh [email-masked]*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*debug tramp/nil nil*’ [0 259200]

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/auth-source-pass-20190628.650/auth-source-pass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/auth-source-pass
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/verilog-mode-2019.6.21.103209889/verilog-mode hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/verilog-mode
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-client hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/soap-client
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-inspect hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils server files-x noutline outline
tramp-cache tramp-sh elec-pair expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom tramp-term
counsel xdg xref project swiper cl-extra help-mode ivy-rich subr-x ivy
colir color ivy-overlay helm-mode helm-files image-dired dired-x
dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
pcase helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-tramp tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete parse-time
helm-config helm-easymenu async-bytecomp helm helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib async list-register register-list linum
windmove framemove autorevert filenotify diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs midnight browse-kill-ring derived cl
shell-completion shell-command shell-pop term disp-table ehelp
highlight-symbol thingatpt backup-dir extraedit goto-last-change
highline mm-util mail-prsvr paren delsel protbuf time point-stack wgrep
grep grep-edit moccur-edit color-moccur edmacro kmacro tabbar crosshairs
col-highlight easy-mmode vline hl-line+ hl-line himark filesets
pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet dired dired-loaddefs pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile comint ansi-color ring
cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit pdf-view bookmark pp jka-compr
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util advice format-spec image-mode finder-inf
info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 548912 23273)
 (symbols 48 41626 5)
 (miscs 40 73 377)
 (strings 32 120382 3401)
 (string-bytes 1 3480522)
 (vectors 16 63460)
 (vector-slots 8 1314507 18456)
 (floats 8 331 167)
 (intervals 56 6734 4528)
 (buffers 992 15))