Subject: Re: NS: wrong font chosen

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:53:40 -0400

On Jun 17, 2009, at 2:12 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2009, at 1:10 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:
>
>> Hmm, Lucida Calligraphy has 'italic' set, which I assume causes  
>> emacs to not use it for non-italic text.  However, I wonder why it  
>> is creating a synth-italic entity here -- it shouldn't.
>
> That's right, there's only an italic variant of it.  (If I demand  
> italic, it uses it and does NOT use a synthetic variant.)
>
> If there's only an italic variant, it should be used as regular,  
> and, in principle, the italic variant should be realized as a  
> synthetic font.  Normally what I've seen done there in print is  
> that if a block of text is emphasized in italics, the extra- 
> emphasized portions of it are then regular.  So you could create a  
> synthetic variant with slant to the left (using the existing slant  
> (degree) information).

I'm not sure this is a call that should be made by the driver or the  
emacs core (when it asks for fonts in family X, and only italic comes  
back).