Subject: 27.0.50; Menus "About GNU" and "GNU and Freedom" to be made offline

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 08:12:19 +0200

Under the Help menu, the last one, {C-h g} or "About GNU" is made as a
link to https://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html just as it is within
the page "About Emacs" in the line: "GNU and Freedom" (hyperlink) - Why we
developed GNU Emacs and the GNU system.

>From a view point of user located in Western developed countries, this
may be alright, as many are simply used to Internet availability.

Internet is not available in majority of this world. Students in East
Africa, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, they use computers so often
without any Internet connection. With the Emasc installed, they will
simply miss to understand "About GNU" and "GNU and Freedom" titles as
Internet is not opening.

As that article is pretty much static, and Emacs being pretty much
software for offline usage, I think that all menu items and such offline
information shall stay offline.

Within the offline page "About GNU" or "GNU and Freedom" one could place
a link for the user to visit the online page if necessary.

Thus keeping online links in the offline menu of Emacs editor is not
appropriate, as it will not give information to those users without Internet.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2019-08-31 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 172b99a43ab60dac29eb09231246793a1ab32343
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
mwheel-scroll: End of buffer [3 times]
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Contacting host: www.gnu.org:443
uncompressing publicsuffix.txt.gz...done
Mark set
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2019-08-31 --with-modules
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail jka-compr cl-extra
help-mode gnutls network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm
rmc url-cache url-auth eww easymenu mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util
mail-prsvr thingatpt url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars mailcap shr text-property-search puny
svg xml seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dom format-spec
time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib browse-url tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 139046 8792)
 (symbols 48 9912 1)
 (strings 32 40188 2623)
 (string-bytes 1 1137589)
 (vectors 16 15715)
 (vector-slots 8 242378 10698)
 (floats 8 55 82)
 (intervals 56 16881 190)
 (buffers 992 14))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis