Subject: 27.0.50;

From: Campbell Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 02:21:51 +1000

Running emacsclient with alternate editor no longer works as it did.

This command for example:

emacsclient --eval '(progn (find-file "some_file.txt") (goto-line 1)
(back-to-indentation) (recenter) "")' --no-wait
--alternate-editor="emacs --eval"

Works in 26.3 - running the command in an existing emacs instance.

In 27.0.50 it reports that "emacs --eval" fails.

The issue can be traced back to this change:
6fe661342a24edcaea255c3ba9a37613031554da

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.10)
 of 2019-09-02 built on austpc
Repository revision: a7d47e64aaf438feaa8cbe4d40acb7bae0eab059
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12005000
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
~/.emacs.d/local
Loading /home/ideasman42/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
Loading server...done

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/emacs --with-sound=no --disable-acl
 --with-file-notification=no --without-xpm --without-jpeg --without-tiff
 --without-gif --without-png --without-rsvg --without-lcms2
 --without-libsystemd --without-gsettings --without-harfbuzz
 --without-m17n-flt --without-libotf --without-gpm --without-dbus
 --without-gsettings --without-gconf --without-selinux --without-gnutls
 --without-zlib --without-makeinfo --without-libgmp --with-zlib
 --with-compress-install --with-threads --with-x
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O2 -mtune=native -march=native -pipe
 -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
GLIB LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON
PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  wcheck-mode: t
  visual-indentation-mode: t
  highlight-numbers-mode: t
  evil-leader-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  default-text-scale-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils counsel xdg xref project dired
dired-loaddefs compile swiper ivy delsel colir color ivy-overlay
noutline outline display-fill-column-indicator wcheck-mode whitespace
visual-indentation-mode highlight-numbers parent-mode server pcase
evil-leader evil-surround evil evil-keybindings evil-integration
undo-tree diff evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
evil-common windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro
kmacro default-text-scale git-gutter advice paren savehist cl-extra
help-mode use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core finder-inf info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 267406 41968)
 (symbols 48 20005 1)
 (strings 32 83891 4273)
 (string-bytes 1 2328543)
 (vectors 16 28486)
 (vector-slots 8 348941 13344)
 (floats 8 205 265)
 (intervals 56 406 0)
 (buffers 992 12))