Subject: bug#37257: failure of emacsclient ... --alternate-editor="emacs --eval"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 14:15:37 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars, the commit in question is the following, so could you please
> look into Bug#37257? Thanks.
>
> commit 6fe661342a24edcaea255c3ba9a37613031554da
> Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Thu Jun 27 20:59:50 2019 +0200
>
>     emacsclient: ignore --eval parameters when starting alternate editor
>
>     * lib-src/emacsclient.c (fail): If the user said --eval, don't
>     pass those arguments to the alternate editor as file names.
>     Suggested by a patch from Scott Turner (bug#11474).

The test case here is:

emacsclient --eval '(progn (find-file "some_file.txt") (goto-line 1)
(back-to-indentation) (recenter) "")' --no-wait
--alternate-editor="emacs --eval"

So the alternate editor is Emacs itself.

Hm.  I guess just reverting the change in question would fix this
regressions, but this is a rather strange use case.  What's the point of
specifying Emacs as the alternate editor?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no