Subject: bug#37245: 27.0.50; .emacs.d/init.el not loading for me

From: Erik Hetzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 09:33:49 -0700

Hi all,

My latest install of emacs stopped loading init.el from ~/.emacs.d
I have created a minimal reproduction which follows:

I am using emacs snapshot PPA for ubuntu from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ubuntu/ppa on Ubuntu 18.04

$ ls ~/.config/emacs/
ls: cannot access '/home/egh/.config/emacs/': No such file or directory

$ cat ~/.emacs.d/init.el 
(error "hello world")

$ emacs --no-site-file --no-site-lisp

No error is triggered, and the ~/.config/emacs dir is created.

$ ls ~/.config/emacs/
auto-save-list

Please let me know how else I can help with this.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-08-30 built on lcy01-amd64-006
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
 '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --program-suffix=-snapshot --with-modules=yes --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets=yes 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-snapshot-f2DDkN/emacs-snapshot-98518=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 48446 7258)
 (symbols 48 6074 1)
 (strings 32 15664 2316)
 (string-bytes 1 501171)
 (vectors 16 7212)
 (vector-slots 8 76781 7596)
 (floats 8 23 427)
 (intervals 56 232 0)
 (buffers 992 14))

-- 
--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.