Subject: Re: bug#37238: flymake feature request

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 03:51:16 +0200

bruno cuconato <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wonder what your thoughts are on showing flymake diagnostics in the
> minibuffer after a timeout, similarly to how flycheck does it, or how
> https://github.com/akash-akya/emacs-flymake-cursor seems to do.
>
> My thoughts are that this is not so simple* to implement as adding a
> function to the overlay keymap (hence the existence of flymake-cursor)
> and thus shouldn't be left to the user if it is deemed a worthy
> feature; and that it would be nice to have as a built-in feature
> instead of having it in a third party package since there are more
> than two forks of flymake-cursor already and I'm happy to avoid MELPA.
>
> Would you consider incorporating this functionality in flymake?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I tend to think that this sort of thing is best left to external
packages instead of having it in-core -- there's so many ways to display
stuff like this.

So I'm closing this bug report as a "wontfix".

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no