Subject: Re: [bug#37224] [PATCH 0/4] Add 'archival' checker for 'guix lint'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 15:28:01 +0200

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

>   tests: 'with-http-server' accepts multiple responses.
>   swh: Add hooks for rate limiting handling.
>   swh: Make 'commit-id?' public.
>   lint: Add 'archival' checker.

I went ahead and pushed these at commit
55549c7b9b778a79d3e1f3d085861ef36aabdca6.

I asked for feedback on #swh-devel and olasd (Nicolas Dandrimont), one
of the SWH developers, replied:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
<olasd> civodul: this seems like a sensible design to me; Does `guix lint`
	automatically call other network services? maybe the save request
	should be an optional flag  [13:55]
<olasd> (automatically _checking_ is fine; automatically _saving_, I don't
	know)
<civodul> olasd: there's a 'refresh' checker that calls out to services to
	  determine whether a newer version of the package is available, for
	  instance  [14:01]
<civodul> initially i thought about not saving at all, and just writing "you
	  should save this"
<civodul> but then i thought it's more convenient to just do it right away
<civodul> it's unlikely to send garbage anyway, and it'll necessarily send
	  only public code, and very likely only free code  [14:02]
<civodul> or did you have other concerns?
<olasd> I don't think it's going to be an issue for us  [14:08]
<olasd> I would just (personally) be surprised if a lint tool I'm using
	started to have side effects on somewhat unrelated systems :)
								        [14:09]
[...]

<civodul> olasd: ah true, though i guess we just got used to that ;-)  [14:12]
<civodul> anyway, thanks for your feedback!
<olasd> civodul: feel free to quote me by mail if you want to keep it archived
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Ludo’.