Subject: Re: bug#37221: 27.0.50; gnus fails to open connection post-NSM update

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 15:37:30 +0200

Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Could you try with nsm-trust-local-network nil, and
>> nnimap-record-commands t ? That should produce an "*imap log*" buffer
>> that might tell us more, perhaps with (setq debug-on-error t) for good
>> measure.
>
> When I tried this there was not an *imap log* buffer. When I set
> nsm-trust-local-network to t there's an *imap log* buffer, though that's
> not as useful I suppose. But at least the logging is working?

The setting of nsm-trust-local-network should not affect whether the
*imap log* buffer is created or not, so there's something odd going on
in your Emacs, I think.

>> Iʼll admit Iʼm at a loss as to why the recent nsm changes would cause
>> this to start failing. Iʼm assuming thereʼs nothing interesting in
>> "*Messages*", and youʼre not prompted for anything?
>
> Correct, other than the message I originally reported (Warning: Opening
> nnimap server on LocalMail...failed: ; Unable to open server
> nnimap+LocalMail due to: Buffer *nnimap localhost nil *nntpd** has no
> process)

I can't see any reason why the NSM changes should affect your local
connection to your IMAP server, either.

Does your setup work if you revert Emacs back to before the NSM changes?
And what is the contents of your *imap log* buffer?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no