Subject: bug#37221: 27.0.50; gnus fails to open connection post-NSM update

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 08:13:58 -0500

On Tue 03 Sep 2019 at 22:16, Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> wrote:

>     Alex> Sure thing, it's below. network-security-level is medium. If I do (setq
>     Alex> nsm-trust-local-network t) then all seems to work as expected.
>
> Oh, thatʼs interesting. Youʼre using (nnimap-stream network), which
> will attempt STARTTLS with localhost, unless nsm-trust-local-network
> is t. (nnimap-stream plain) will turn off the attempted STARTTLS
> upgrade.

I tried chancing it to plain and get the same error with the same message.

> Could you try with nsm-trust-local-network nil, and
> nnimap-record-commands t ? That should produce an "*imap log*" buffer
> that might tell us more, perhaps with (setq debug-on-error t) for good
> measure.

When I tried this there was not an *imap log* buffer. When I set
nsm-trust-local-network to t there's an *imap log* buffer, though that's
not as useful I suppose. But at least the logging is working?

> Iʼll admit Iʼm at a loss as to why the recent nsm changes would cause
> this to start failing. Iʼm assuming thereʼs nothing interesting in
> "*Messages*", and youʼre not prompted for anything?

Correct, other than the message I originally reported (Warning: Opening
nnimap server on LocalMail...failed: ; Unable to open server
nnimap+LocalMail due to: Buffer *nnimap localhost nil *nntpd** has no
process)

Thanks,
Alex