Subject: Re: bug#37213: Execute set-window-margins. left-margin-width remains 0.

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:19:37 +0200

> OK.  It seems there are two alternative strategies for manipulating a
 > window's margins.  One is to use set-window-margins together with
 > window-margins, the other is to use left/right-margin-width and
 > set-window-buffer.

Right.  With fringes and scroll bars you can additionally set a frame
parameter.  I know that you're not interested in the latter but any
descriptions should be consistent.

 >> Hmm...  What is the "current width of the left or right margin"?
 >
 > I'm not sure I understand the question.  In a given window with a left
 > margin, there will be a maximum length of string which can be displayed
 > in that margin.  That is its "current width".  The same for a right
 > margin.  What are you getting at, here?

That you omitted the "In a given window" preamble in the manual.  When
you have a frame with two windows showing one and the same buffer, the
margins of these windows can have different widths.  What would be the
"current width" in that case?

martin