Subject: bug#37203: 26.2; error on load with .emacs.d symlink on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 09:23:28 +0300

> From: Chris BSomething <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 12:21:50 +1000
> 
> I want  to store my init.el on Google drive so it shares between computers.
> So I created a windows symlink:
> mklink .emacs.d Google\emacs

This doesn't create a directory symlink, it creates a symlink to a
(non-existent) file.  To make a directory symlink, you need to do this
instead:

  mklink /d .emacs.d Google\emacs

If this doesn't work either, please tell more about what does "Google"
above represent, as it doesn't seem to point to a drive, at least not
syntactically.

> It is mistakenly thinking that the directory isn't writable probably because it is a <SYMLINK> rather than a
> <DIR>, or alternatively because the symlink is owned by Administrators.

If ownership winds up to be the problem (I don't think so), it can be
changed from the Windows Explorer or other similar tools.