Subject: bug#37203: closed (Re: bug#37203: 26.2; error on load with .emacs.d symlink on windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 07:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37203: 26.2; error on load with .emacs.d symlink on windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37203: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37203
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37203: 26.2; error on load with .emacs.d symlink on windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Chris BSomething <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:51:09 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Chris BSomething <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 17:31:52 +1000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I believe so. 

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 26.2; error on load with .emacs.d symlink on windows
From: Chris BSomething <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 12:21:50 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I want  to store my init.el on Google drive so it shares between computers.
So I created a windows symlink:
mklink .emacs.d Google\emacs
I do this as administrator, because you have to on windows.

I get the following error when using runemacs.exe
--------------
Warning (initialization): Unable to access `user-emacs-directory'
(~/.emacs.d/).
Any data that would normally be written there may be lost!
If you never want to see this message again,
customize the variable `user-emacs-directory-warning'.

--------------
Not sure what is going on here, but this is my guess:

It is mistakenly thinking that the directory isn't writable probably
because it is a <SYMLINK> rather than a <DIR>, or alternatively because the
symlink is owned by Administrators.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-04-13 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: fd1b34bfba8f3f6298df47c8e10b61530426f749
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair edmacro kmacro thing-cmds
hide-comnt cl thingatpt+ thingatpt finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 243150 15397)
 (symbols 48 27066 2)
 (miscs 40 78 137)
 (strings 32 76674 1849)
 (string-bytes 1 1860097)
 (vectors 16 22250)
 (vector-slots 8 620218 13358)
 (floats 8 54 257)
 (intervals 56 304 56)
 (buffers 992 12))