Subject: bug#37202: shadowfile-tests: two failures on macOS

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 17:19:35 -0700

On 9/19/19 4:09 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> https://hydra.nixos.org/build/101137999
> 
> ... It seems rather that this is the first sign that Paul's
> recent changes have damaged Tramp. I mean, that file-attributes returns
> an error now instead of nil, if a file is not accessible.

Could you explain how the backtrace implicates file-attributes? I see 
the following in the backtrace, but I don't see file-attributes listed 
there, and when I look at the tramp-handle-file-modes source it appears 
that file-attributes returned nil which is what I think you expected.

Test shadow-test08-shadow-todo backtrace:
   signal(args-out-of-range ("([] 1)"))
   tramp-signal-hook-function(args-out-of-range ([] 1))
   tramp-mode-string-to-int(nil)
 
tramp-handle-file-modes(#("/mock:localhost:/build/shadowfile-tests75GTBI" 
6 15 (tramp-default t)))
   apply(tramp-handle-file-modes 
#("/mock:localhost:/build/shadowfile-tests75GTBI" 6 15 (tramp-default t)))
   tramp-sh-file-name-handler(file-modes 
#("/mock:localhost:/build/shadowfile-tests75GTBI" 6 15 (tramp-default t)))
   apply(tramp-sh-file-name-handler file-modes 
#("/mock:localhost:/build/shadowfile-tests75GTBI" 6 15 (tramp-default t)))
   tramp-file-name-handler(file-modes 
#("/mock:localhost:/build/shadowfile-tests75GTBI" 6 15 (tramp-default t)))
   file-modes(#("/mock:localhost:/build/shadowfile-tests75GTBI" 6 15 
(tramp-default t)))