Subject: bug#37198: 26.2; Infinite recursion in eshell/clear with em-smart

From: Daniel Sockwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 13:41:43 +0000

Hi all,

I encountered the following reproducible bug earlier today and, to my
knowledge, it has not yet been reported.  Here is the bug:

The `eshell/clear` command triggers an infinite recursion and prints
6,599 lines when em-smart mode is active.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Use the following config:

    (require 'eshell)
    (require 'em-smart)
    (add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook 'eshell-smart-initialize)

2) M-x eshell

3) Enter `clear` at the eshell prompt

Expected behavior:

The contents of the eshell buffer are scrolled by a single page, leaving
a blank window.

Actual behavior:

The contents of the eshell buffer are scrolled by 6,599 lines and the
message "Error during redisplay: (eval (mode-line-eol-desc)) signaled
(error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")" is echoed.

Info from M-x report-emacs-bug is below.

Best regards,
Daniel

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.8)
 of 2019-04-12 built on juergen
System Description:	Antergos Linux

Recent messages:
Error during redisplay: (eval (mode-line-eol-desc)) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Error during redisplay: (eval (if (frame-parameter nil (quote client)) "@" "")) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Error during redisplay: (eval (unless (display-graphic-p) "-%-")) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
redisplay--pre-redisplay-functions: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Error during redisplay: (eval (unless (display-graphic-p) "-%-")) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Quit
Making completion list...
Mark set
Undo!
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/dsock/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-inspect hides /usr/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/dsock/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-client hides /usr/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp
em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl
em-basic em-banner em-alias term/xterm xterm time-date elec-pair
finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib em-smart pcomplete comint ansi-color ring esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 144606 12731)
 (symbols 48 24197 1)
 (miscs 40 93 195)
 (strings 32 42027 1466)
 (string-bytes 1 1199907)
 (vectors 16 18583)
 (vector-slots 8 527167 5540)
 (floats 8 65 215)
 (intervals 56 1514 83)
 (buffers 992 15))
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 26.2; Infinite recursion in eshell/clear and em-smart
--text follows this line--
Hi all,

I encountered the following reproduceable bug earlier today and, to my
knowlege, it has not yet been reported.  Here is the bug:

The `eshell/clear` command triggers an infinite recursion and prints
6,599 lines when em-smart mode is active.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Use the following config:

    (require 'eshell)
    (require 'em-smart)
    (add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook 'eshell-smart-initialize)

2) M-x eshell

3) Enter `clear` at the eshell prompt

Expected behavior:

The contents of the eshell buffer are scrolled by a single page, leaving
a blank window.

Actual behavior:

The contents of the eshell buffer are scrolled by 6,599 lines and the
message "Error during redisplay: (eval (mode-line-eol-desc)) signaled
(error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")" is echoed.

Info from M-x report-emacs-bug is below.

Best regards,
Daniel

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.8)
 of 2019-04-12 built on juergen
System Description:	Antergos Linux

Recent messages:
Error during redisplay: (eval (mode-line-eol-desc)) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Error during redisplay: (eval (if (frame-parameter nil (quote client)) "@" "")) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Error during redisplay: (eval (unless (display-graphic-p) "-%-")) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
redisplay--pre-redisplay-functions: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Error during redisplay: (eval (unless (display-graphic-p) "-%-")) signaled (error "Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")
Quit
Making completion list...
Mark set
Undo!
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/dsock/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-inspect hides /usr/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/dsock/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-client hides /usr/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp
em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl
em-basic em-banner em-alias term/xterm xterm time-date elec-pair
finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib em-smart pcomplete comint ansi-color ring esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 144606 12731)
 (symbols 48 24197 1)
 (miscs 40 93 195)
 (strings 32 42027 1466)
 (string-bytes 1 1199907)
 (vectors 16 18583)
 (vector-slots 8 527167 5540)
 (floats 8 65 215)
 (intervals 56 1514 83)
 (buffers 992 15))