Subject: bug#37189: 25.4.1: vc-hg-ignore implementation is missing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 17:21:50 +0200

I'm replying to a couple of points here FTR, since the future of this
discussion (and of handling these issues) is not clear to me now.

> From: Wolfgang Scherer <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 02:18:00 +0100
> 
> you must be using an Emacs < 27, if you get basenames in root/.gitignore, because that behavior changed with #37217:

No, I'm using the latest emacs-27 branch.

However, I see that "basename" was inaccurate: it is only correct when
ignoring a file in the root directory of the repository.  A more
accurate description would be "a file name relative to the
repository's root".  Which is still not an absolute file name, as was
claimed by Wolfgang.

> 1. Invoke vc-ignore `C-x v G`
> 
> 2. Enter the correct regular expression for Mercurial (it is a
>    wildcard for the VC according to your reasoning, is it not?):
> 
>    ^/some[/]sub
> 
> 3. Check your .hgignore file and verify, that it only contains:
> 
>    ]sub

I cannot reproduce this: I get the expected ^/some[/]sub there.

> Should you get your facts straight, we can talk further. Otherwise, I
> have invested enough.time now.

Dmitry, what happens from here is up to you.  You can decide to accept
Wolfgang's changes as-is, or you can decide you want to continue
discussing this with him (in which case I will stay away of the
discussions) and eventually arrive at some alternative changeset.  Or
you can make any other decision about this.

I did arrive at a few conclusions after studying the issues raised in
the discussions, so if you want, I can post those conclusions FTR, if
for nothing else.

Sorry if I caused this discussion to go awry.