Subject: Re: bug#3717: M-x man completion

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:01:00 +0200

>> But then you don't see additional information about section names that
>> may help to select the necessary manual.
>
> You mean on a unique name, like say "gunzip"?  I wasn't terribly
> interested in the section number as a suffix if it's unique.

You are not interested in the section number for "gunzip" because you
already know that it's a command name.  I'm not interested in the
section number for known commands too.

But in the rest 90% cases, I would be terribly interested in the section
number to know if the unique name belongs to 3erl or 3form or 3menu or 3nas
or 3ncurses or 3perl or 3pm or 3readline or 3ssl or 3tiff or 3x.

> Omitting it makes for a cleaner list; and it could be a bit confusing
> if the bare name is present for duplicated pages but not present for
> unique ones.

I'd rather get rid of the bare name than of the section number appended to
the manual name.

> But perhaps it's personal preference.

We could add an option.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/