Subject: Re: bug#37168: debbugs: Make bug list update asynchronous

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 09:19:24 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> When I type:
>
> M-x debbugs-gnu RET ,minor,wishlist RET
>
> It takes a long time to load on my machine, and it freezes my entire
> Emacs session while I wait.  It would be very nice if this operation
> could be made to work asynchronously.

Bug retrieving happens in two phases. The first phase, getting the bug
numbers in question, cannot be performed asynchronously, because it is
just one request to the debbugs server.

The second phase, getting information per bug number, happens already
asynchronously. The debbugs server is requested to return maximum
debbugs-max-hits-per-request per request; several requests are sent in
parallel to the server. Furthermore, debbugs caches the results, so the
next time information for an already known bug number is taken from the
cache.

However, debbugs waits until all parallel requests have been served by
the debbugs server, before it begins to show the tabulated list. This
might be done asynchronously as well. Will check, what's possible.

> Thanks,
> Stefan Kangas

Best regards, Michael.