Subject: bug#37168: debbugs: Make bug list update asynchronous

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 12:09:51 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>>> When I type:
>>>
>>> M-x debbugs-gnu RET ,minor,wishlist RET
>>>
>>> It takes a long time to load on my machine, and it freezes my entire
>>> Emacs session while I wait.  It would be very nice if this operation
>>> could be made to work asynchronously.
>>
>> Bug retrieving happens in two phases. The first phase, getting the bug
>> numbers in question, cannot be performed asynchronously, because it is
>> just one request to the debbugs server.
>>
>> The second phase, getting information per bug number, happens already
>> asynchronously. The debbugs server is requested to return maximum
>> debbugs-max-hits-per-request per request; several requests are sent in
>> parallel to the server. Furthermore, debbugs caches the results, so the
>> next time information for an already known bug number is taken from the
>> cache.
>>
>> However, debbugs waits until all parallel requests have been served by
>> the debbugs server, before it begins to show the tabulated list. This
>> might be done asynchronously as well. Will check, what's possible.
>
> Any news regarding this?  If no progress is possible here, perhaps the
> bug should be closed.  WDYT?

FTR, I've released debbugs 0.41, which uses threads.

Best regards, Michael.