Subject: bug#37168: debbugs: Make bug list update asynchronous

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 14:02:18 -0500

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> When I type:
>>
>> M-x debbugs-gnu RET ,minor,wishlist RET
>>
>> It takes a long time to load on my machine, and it freezes my entire
>> Emacs session while I wait.  It would be very nice if this operation
>> could be made to work asynchronously.
>
> Bug retrieving happens in two phases. The first phase, getting the bug
> numbers in question, cannot be performed asynchronously, because it is
> just one request to the debbugs server.
>
> The second phase, getting information per bug number, happens already
> asynchronously. The debbugs server is requested to return maximum
> debbugs-max-hits-per-request per request; several requests are sent in
> parallel to the server. Furthermore, debbugs caches the results, so the
> next time information for an already known bug number is taken from the
> cache.
>
> However, debbugs waits until all parallel requests have been served by
> the debbugs server, before it begins to show the tabulated list. This
> might be done asynchronously as well. Will check, what's possible.

Any news regarding this?  If no progress is possible here, perhaps the
bug should be closed.  WDYT?