Subject: Re: bug#37167: debbugs: Unclear message when updating bug list

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 09:07:13 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> When I type:
>
> M-x debbugs-gnu RET ,minor,wishlist RET

Being curious: why ",minor,wishlist"? Just "minor,wishlist" would do.

> It takes a long time to load on my machine.  The message while waiting
> is "Contacting host: debbugs.gnu.org:443", which makes it look like
> it's unable to reach the host for a long time.  In reality, somewhere
> during the process it reaches the host and starts downloading the bug
> list.

Agreed.

> 1. It would be good if this could instead say something about what it
> actually is doing, along the lines of "Getting bug data from host:
> debbugs.gnu.org:443".

Well, this downloading shall be wrapped by the progress-reporter.

> 2. When it's done, the message is still "Contacting host:
> debbugs.gnu.org:443".  It would be good if there is instead a message
> saying something like "Update complete from host:
> debbugs.gnu.org:443".

This has annoyed me as well since ever. But I was too lazy to fix. I
take this bug report as trigger to do something.

> The exact message doesn't matter much to me, just that it's different
> from what is there now.
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan Kangas

Best regards, Michael.