Subject: Re: bug#37167: debbugs: Unclear message when updating bug list

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 17:11:11 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> When I type:
>
> M-x debbugs-gnu RET ,minor,wishlist RET
>
> It takes a long time to load on my machine.  The message while waiting
> is "Contacting host: debbugs.gnu.org:443", which makes it look like
> it's unable to reach the host for a long time.  In reality, somewhere
> during the process it reaches the host and starts downloading the bug
> list.
>
> 1. It would be good if this could instead say something about what it
> actually is doing, along the lines of "Getting bug data from host:
> debbugs.gnu.org:443".

I've added a progress reporter to debbugs, pushed to the elpa git
repository (commit bf5ed71da). You might check, whether it suffices your
needs.

> 2. When it's done, the message is still "Contacting host:
> debbugs.gnu.org:443".  It would be good if there is instead a message
> saying something like "Update complete from host:
> debbugs.gnu.org:443".
>
> The exact message doesn't matter much to me, just that it's different
> from what is there now.

The progress reporter says something. If it doesn't suffice, I could add
further messages.

> Thanks,
> Stefan Kangas

Best regards, Michael.