Subject: bug#37164: Generated installation image does not include grub.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 22:40:56 +0200

Hi,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>> > 1. generate the install image
>> >  guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
>> > root=installation-os-x86_64.iso  --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
>> > system install) installation-os)'
>
> There's a typo there :)
>
> You wrote: iso9600
> It should be: iso9660
>
> But the error message could be vastly improved O_o

As it turns out, what happens is this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
creating partition table with 2 partitions (1351.0 MiB, 40.0 MiB)....
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance..
Backtrace:.
           4 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/j4941c2hs3dnhj8lvcmclsr4wmk…").
In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:.
    563:4  3 (initialize-hard-disk "/dev/vda" #:bootloader-package _ …).
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:.
    640:9  2 (for-each #<procedure initialize-partition (partition)> #).
In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:.
    329:3  1 (initialize-partition #<<partition> device: "/dev/vda1"…>).
In unknown file:.
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A" ("Unsupported file syst…") …).
.
ERROR: In procedure scm-error:.
Unsupported file system..
[   44.968721] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Unfortunately, as noted in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/34276>,
that still produces an image, albeit a broken image.

I’m merging the bugs.

To be continued…

Ludo’.