Subject: Re: bug#37164: Generated installation image does not include grub.

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 16:25:14 -0600

I tried re-enabling verbose debugging in the following script:

guix gc
guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=2 -e '(@
(gnu system install) installation-os)'

 and got the attached log. Note the following near the end:

loading '/gnu/store/sy8cllslzndsm5wg76xhj44acxmsbyyg-linux-vm-
loader'...
environment variable `PATH' set to
`/gnu/store/ql5vzaj81wvcrpvp26s40iprw8dkar9m-qemu-minimal-
3.1.0/bin:/gnu/store/nrdc0di2v294y9ygiqdxw6sxkziym7mi-parted-
3.2/sbin:/gnu/store/hlx65zy9dddvzfzna59830ba73sny9yr-e2fsprogs-
1.45.2/bin:/gnu/store/hlx65zy9dddvzfzna59830ba73sny9yr-e2fsprogs-
1.45.2/sbin:/gnu/store/sxr2q3rcqk48lrpckazzlncp99k8bkp4-dosfstools-
4.1/sbin:/gnu/store/lmfddplnplxd03bcqv3w9pynbnr1fp8k-sed-
4.5/bin:/gnu/store/02k245xy33cvcnr8vm3lagm9zmb1s2wa-grep-
3.1/bin:/gnu/store/5s2nib1lrd2101bbrivcl17kjx1mspw6-coreutils-
8.30/bin:/gnu/store/fd621k6fmdnr1yiw0lbvw5spqaa169j3-findutils-
4.6.0/bin:/gnu/store/l67sib1ld0fgyf0f4vrzyxnmn4yvimvb-gawk-4.2.1/bin'
[    2.090988] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
creating partition table with 2 partitions (1786.0 MiB, 40.0 MiB)...
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best
performance.
Backtrace:
           4 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/x19zk71zj8mh9i5mbhy4i1ml6vi���@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
"@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:
    563:4  3 (initialize-hard-disk "/dev/vda" #:bootloader-package _
���@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
    640:9  2 (for-each #<procedure initialize-partition (partition)> #)
In ./gnu/build/vm.scm:
    329:3  1 (initialize-partition #<<partition> device:
"/dev/vda1"���@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
>@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

In unknown file:
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A" ("Unsupported file syst���@
build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
"@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1
 @ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
�@ build-log 32326 1
)@ build-log 32326 1

@ build-log 32326 1

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
Unsupported file system.
[   70.721155] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000100
[   70.722153] CPU: 2 PID: 168 Comm: init Not tainted 5.2.10-gnu #1
[   70.722933] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996),
BIOS rel-1.12.0-0-ga698c8995f-prebuilt.qemu.org 04/01/2014
[   70.724324] Call Trace:
[   70.724654]  dump_stack+0x63/0x85
[   70.725085]  panic+0xfe/0x2d4
[   70.725461]  do_exit+0xb9d/0xba0
[   70.725848]  ? wait_woken+0x80/0x80
[   70.726251]  do_group_exit+0x43/0xb0
[   70.726682]  get_signal+0x14f/0x830
[   70.727089]  ? new_sync_read+0x122/0x1b0
[   70.727546]  do_signal+0x34/0x6d0
[   70.727933]  ? __vfs_read+0x29/0x40
[   70.728341]  ? fput+0x13/0x20
[   70.728690]  exit_to_usermode_loop+0x7c/0xf0
[   70.729191]  do_syscall_64+0x118/0x130
[   70.729631]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
[   70.730216] RIP: 0033:0x4bac5c
[   70.730670] Code: Bad RIP value.
[   70.731085] RSP: 002b:00007f251e8323b0 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX:
0000000000000000
[   70.732018] RAX: fffffffffffffe00 RBX: 0000000000000005 RCX:
00000000004bac5c
[   70.732942] RDX: 0000000000000001 RSI: 00007f251e832880 RDI:
0000000000000005
[   70.733801] RBP: 00007f251e832880 R08: 0000000000000000 R09:
0000000000652030
[   70.734623] R10: 0000000000000008 R11: 0000000000000246 R12:
0000000000000001
[   70.735434] R13: 0000000000000002 R14: 0000000000000002 R15:
000000000000000a
[   70.736326] Kernel Offset: 0x11000000 from 0xffffffff81000000
(relocation range: 0xffffffff80000000-0xffffffffbfffffff)
[   70.737555] Rebooting in 1 seconds..
file-size: /gnu/store/kw357rqfm7kw4rhx1sbakw3jc4zpi6gy-nss-certs-
3.45/etc/ssl/certs/NetLock_Arany_=Class_Gold=_F??tan??s??tv??ny:2.6.73.
65.44.228.0.16.pem: No such file or directory
file-size: /gnu/store/vysii5zxdaxiz4pmb468rpn7i4x08qga-
profile/etc/ssl/certs/NetLock_Arany_=Class_Gold=_F??tan??s??tv??ny:2.6.
73.65.44.228.0.16.pem: No such file or directory

Am I really the only one who has this issue? Could it be related to
something in my os configuration or in my local profile?
-- 
-Jesse