Subject: bug#37123: closed (gnome-shell: LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting propagates to entire session)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 09:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37123: gnome-shell: LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting propagates to entire session

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37123: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37123
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: gnome-shell: LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting propagates to entire session
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 09:54:51 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Commit f1fd313e486491caf1ff5874810f2ee06091e825 removes LD_LIBRARY_PATH
from the wrapper.  That’s on core-updates-frozen.

I reconfigured my system with this change and gnome-shell starts up
fine, and things like Gnome Weather work correctly.  So I’m pretty
confident that we no longer need to do this.

Yay!

-- 
Ricardo

Subject: gnome-shell: LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting propagates to entire session
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 15:21:37 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since commit 2b0c755d195c79bfc95cdbe802e1e2dea1adb7a2 in August 2018,
our 'gnome-shell' executable has been wrapped by a script that sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

One consequence of this, which I just noticed, is that if 'gnome-shell'
is based on 'core-updates' (or in my case, 'core-updates-next'), many
programs based on 'master' will fail to run within the resulting GNOME
session.

I ran into this issue because I recently rebuilt my Guix system based on
'core-updates-next' and booted into it, although it will take more time
to finish rebuilding my user profile.  Many programs, including Emacs
and Nautilus, fail to launch.  A workaround is to launch a terminal,
unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH within the resulting shell, and then manually run
the other programs from within that shell.  (Since then, I've built a
trimmed-down version of my profile based on 'core-updates-next'.)

I was unable to easily find an existing bug report tracking this issue,
so I created this one.

       Mark