Subject: bug#37120: [PATCH] Prefer display-line-numbers over linum in docs and custom

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:19:42 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 14:29:58 +0200, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> said:

    Stefan> From 0e76a8238b684860eb75f049dffd0c7b4c978272 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
    Stefan> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
    Stefan> Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 01:40:11 +0200
    Stefan> Subject: [PATCH] Prefer display-line-numbers over linum in docs and one
    Stefan>  defcustom

    Stefan> * doc/misc/efaq.texi: Replace linum with display-line-numbers-mode.
    Stefan> * lisp/progmodes/prog-mode.el (prog-mode-hook): Replace linum-mode
    Stefan> with display-line-numbers-mode in :options.
    Stefan> ---
    Stefan>  doc/misc/efaq.texi          | 19 ++++++++++++++-----
    Stefan>  lisp/progmodes/prog-mode.el |  3 ++-
    Stefan>  2 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

    Stefan> diff --git a/doc/misc/efaq.texi b/doc/misc/efaq.texi
    Stefan> index 8fd3bf3a45..67fc05c810 100644
    Stefan> --- a/doc/misc/efaq.texi
    Stefan> +++ b/doc/misc/efaq.texi
    Stefan> @@ -1687,11 +1687,20 @@ Displaying the current line or column
    Stefan>  this variable.
 
    Stefan>  @cindex Set number capability in @code{vi} emulators
    Stefan> -The @samp{linum} package (distributed with Emacs since version 23.1)
    Stefan> -displays line numbers in the left margin, like the ``set number''
    Stefan> -capability of @code{vi}.  The packages @samp{setnu} and
    Stefan> -@samp{wb-line-number} (not distributed with Emacs) also implement this
    Stefan> -feature.
    Stefan> +The @samp{display-line-numbers} package (added to Emacs in version
    Stefan> +26.1) displays line numbers in the text area, before each line, like
    Stefan> +the ``set number'' capability of @code{vi}.  Customize
    Stefan> the

@samp around 'set number'? (although it was like that before your changes).

    Stefan> +buffer-local variable 'display-line-numbers' to activate this optional
    Stefan> +display.  Alternatively, you can use the 'display-line-numbers-mode'
    Stefan> +minor mode or the global 'global-display-line-numbers-mode'.  When
    Stefan> +using these modes, customize 'display-line-numbers-type' with the same
    Stefan> +value as you would use with 'display-line-numbers'.
    Stefan> +

All these variables/command should use @code{} rather than explicit quotes, I
think.

Robert