Subject: bug#3712: 23.1.50; SECURITY: Tramp creates -rwxrwxrwx permission files with /su and /sudo method

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:15:19 +0200

Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2009-06-29 18:16 (+0300), Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
>> When method /su: or /sudo: is used to _create_ a file the file's
>> permission will be set to -rwxrwxrwx (777), [...]

I've committed a fix, to both the trunk and the 23.1 branch.

> This also happens when _editing_ an existing file because "backup by
> renaming" will move the old file aside and the new version of file is
> really creating a new file.
>
> So, if you want to give your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow the -rwxrwxrwx
> permissions just edit the files with tramp's /su or /sudo method while
> having backup by renaming enabled.

This I cannot reproduce. I have set `backup-by-copying' to nil. Backups
of files under /sudo::... have the same permissions as the original
file.

Best regards, Michael.