Subject: 27.0.50; ivy-mode: M-x man always inserts a ^ into the minibuffer

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 19:00:05 -0700

I just typed M-x man RET, and the minibuffer has a ^ in it.  I have no
idea why it's there.  Its presence makes it impossible to actually look
up a man page, and so I have to delete it by typing <backspace>.  This
is annoying.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-apple-darwin18.6.0, NS appkit-1671.50
Version 10.14.5 (Build 18F132))
 of 2019-07-09 built on Eric-Hanchrows-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 3f432bb419093ceb04b909d602eb6dde0c38e770
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.6

Recent messages:
Quit [2 times]
(New file)
Quit
Mark set [7 times]
Sort plain list: [a]lpha  [n]umeric  [t]ime  [f]unc  [x]checked  A/N/T/F/X
means reversed:
Quit
You can run the command ‘sort-lines’ with M-x sor-l RET
Mark set [3 times]
Saving file /private/tmp/merged...
Wrote /private/tmp/merged
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/Cellar/libxml2/2.9.9_2/lib -lxml2 -lz
 -lpthread -liconv -lm'
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/Cellar/libxml2/2.9.9_2/include/libxml2'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  projectile-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/faceup-20170925.1946/faceup hides
/Users/erichanchrow/git-repositories/3rd-party/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/faceup

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug message rmc rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail man dired-aux sort js imenu cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
projectile perl6-detect elec-pair savehist xr twisted-mode org-element
avl-tree org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
work-log-mode flycheck elisp-slime-nav bookmark edit-list pp
highlight-indentation flymake-proc flymake warnings company-capf company
pcase help-fns radix-tree elpy find-file-in-project advice windmove
elpy-shell pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor
python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time ls-lisp ido files-x etags
fileloop generator xref project cus-edit cus-start cus-load
browse-kill-ring eww mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums time-date mail-utils wid-edit mm-util
mail-prsvr url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr
text-property-search puny svg xml dom browse-url format-spec ws-butler
dired-subtree dired-hacks-utils dash wat derived autorevert filenotify
vc-git diff-mode ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs ibuf-macs cl ivy
delsel colir color ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs grep compile comint ansi-color ring find-func
adaptive-wrap rotate face-remap edmacro kmacro use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
gh-common marshal eieio-compat rx cl-extra help-mode info package
easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 293648 15651)
 (symbols 48 29616 1)
 (strings 32 100027 3296)
 (string-bytes 1 3654872)
 (vectors 16 44677)
 (vector-slots 8 507117 14158)
 (floats 8 322 318)
 (intervals 56 1493 14)
 (buffers 992 18))