Subject: bug#37079: 26.2.90 feature request; bury-frame command for desktop-wm

From: VanL <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 22:36:18 +1000

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> Whatever 'bury-buffer' does, it's effect can be fully controlled by

I don't know the extent of interpenetration Emacs&WM have.  The b for
bury binds to 'Buffer-menu-bury' in the `*Buffer List*' which was what I
also wanted to do to the frame.

> So all you want is that Emacs by default assigns a keyboard shortcut
> to 'lower-frame'.  Which combination did you have in mind?

Everybody has their pref for keybinding and I know better to keep my
defpref to myself.  I'm after the 'command' to lowerframe and that is
all to see multiple corners of many apps and their frames like a poker
player's hand of cards.

> I still wonder why you don't just actively switch
> to that other application's window (with the mouse or via Alt-Tab)
> instead of using 'lower-frame' which would just passively reveal the
> window that happens to be beneath the one of the Emacs frame.

In my case Command-Tab does the app-to-app context switch; it is too
coarse a move.  All the frames belonging to app get foregrounded.  If I
am able to stay in Emacs to use lowerframe on specific frame I may only
want to read what's in the other app without touching it and then
resurface specific Emacs frame again.  There I've avoided touching the
mouse completely.

Like Glenn says XFCE has window-key + down-arrow, I'm asking for the
command to do that.  I'm not asking for key-binding.