Subject: bug#37053: 26.2; window.el does not (provide 'window)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 19:04:00 +0300

> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 08:24:57 -0400
> Cc: Immanuel Litzroth <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> >> (use-package window
> >> >>   :custom (split-height-threshold nil "Minimum height for splitting windows sensibly."))
> 
> > Since the third party package use-package by John Wiegley is gaining
> > popularity in the Emacs community, perhaps we should make life a bit
> > easier for these users.  The attached patch is simple enough.  Does
> > anyone disagree with making such a change?
> 
> IMO, this kind of thing is a misuse of use-package, but adding a provide
> is fairly harmless so I don't oppose it.

And I'm not sure whether I should oppose it.  This is a slippery
slope, because someone at some point has got to raise a brow and
decide this is some mistake or left-over from some distant past, and
remove it.  It will be a maintenance burden, albeit a minor one.  Why
not turn the table and claim that use-package has a bug?  Preloaded
packages are all in load-history, no?

Stefan, John, any comments/thoughts?