Subject: Re: bug#37036: [PATCH] Inconsistent ASCII and Latin char categories

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 19:59:53 +0300

> From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 18:30:47 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 15 aug. 2019 kl. 18.23 skrev Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
> > 
> > In any case, how to justify the fact that, say, "naïve", has
> > characters from different scripts?
> 
> The proposed change does not change the categories of any character in that string.

What about "abcdef^A^B"?  Does M-f stop before the control characters?

I guess I don't understand the rationale for the change.  Categories
are Emacs's invention, and their purpose is mostly to allow us to use
regexps for searching certain characters, and other similar
subtleties.  Your rationale seems to be some attempt to be formally
"consistent".  But this is not a formal attribute, it is entirely
ad-hoc, as can be easily seen by just looking at the list of the
categories.

So I wonder why would we want to rock that particular boat.