Subject: Re: bug#37007: Problem with the menu-bars in mode "org" and "auctex"

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 09:45:54 +0200

> "messages" doesn't capture anything related to the menus as far as I
 > can see. Attached screenshot is after shifting between buffers
 > several times and invoking menus with F10. And different buffers
 > have opened with corrupted menu items and the black bars which at
 > every occasion is corrected with F10. Apparently F10 does something
 > different to the menus than the mouse.

It should mean that we do not update the menu bar at some decisive
moments.  Try evaluating the following noisy form with emacs -Q.

(add-hook 'menu-bar-update-hook (lambda () (ding) (message "%s..%s" (current-buffer) major-mode)))

Here I hear a "ding" and see a message whenever I split a window or
show another buffer in some window.  And I hear the ding when hitting
F10 or clicking on a menu bar item with the mouse.  Do you see any
"anomalies" when doing that?  I mean, does the message intuitively
show the "right" current buffer and its major mode when you randomly
execute some of the actions above?

Sorry, I have no better idea than applying such silly heuristics.

Thanks, martin