Subject: bug#37007: Problem with the menu-bars in mode "org" and "auctex"

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:19:02 +0200

> In dired "operate, "Mark", "regexp", "immediate", "subdir" give the
 > same black bar and absent submenus. The other submenus come down as
 > expected.

The "Help" menu as well?

 > GTK seems to be 3.22.30. Attached is a print-screen from synaptic package manager.

To make sure: What does clicking on About Emacs in the Help menu tell
about the version used for building Emacs?

 > Thanks for engaging in the problem. Have you been able to reproduce it?

No.  But I'm with GTK 3.22.11 which suffers from what is cited in
etc/PROBLEMS as

*** Emacs built with GTK+ toolkit can unexpectedly widen frames

Maybe GTK changed their behavior that instead of auto-widening the
window they now black out the menus.  When you start Emacs from the
console or a text terminal do you see something like the

Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

mentioned in that entry?

Also, please keep <[email-masked]> in the list of recipients so
that others see your answers as well (using Reply To All in your MUA
should suffice).

Thanks, martin