Subject: Re: bug#36981: 26.2; request: add searching by package name to list-packages

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 23:29:30 +0300

> I don't want to discourage you from continuing work on the filter
> command by floating this idea.  Having filter commands and an isearch
> option are not mutually exclusive.  On the contrary, I could see
> myself wanting to use both.
>
> Perhaps it's better to regard this idea as separate from the "filter
> by name" command for now.  Maybe I shouldn't have sidetracked this
> issue by even raising it, but it's good to hear that you agree that
> it's not a bad idea.

I agree, let's first have a basic implementation of "filter by name",
and then maybe add an isearch option later.  The way currently I have
to search by name is to start isearch, type a name, and open occur
from isearch.  Then jumping from the *Occur* buffer back to packages
is so ugly workaround for having a proper filter by name.
Filtering a huge list of packages will improve the current situation.
(Another useful command would be "filter by description and name"
like in Synaptic package manager.)