Subject: [bug#36976] [PATCH 1/1] download: Map file-name characters not allowed in store.

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:53:08 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the review and the coding suggestions..

Am 23.08.19 um 23:08 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> * guix/download.scm (safe-name): New function.
>>   (download-to-store): NAME defaults to the "safe" basename of URL.
> What about moving this automatic renaming feature to (guix scripts
> download)?  I’d rather not do it in the core APIs.
`download-to-store store` was defined as:

   (define* (download-to-store store url #:optional (name (basename url)) …

When developing this patch, I decided to put it into the core since
users of this function would expect to be allowed to just pass any url
and don't need to take care about valid characters. If not doing the
automatic renaming here, users would need to perform the conversion
prior to calling this function in any case (except when 100% sure only
valid characters are used).

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [email-masked]               |
| www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |