Subject: bug#36972: closed (Re: bug#36972: ghc-8.6.5 won't complete its build phase)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 01:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36972: ghc-8.6.5 won't complete its build phase

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36972: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36972
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36972: ghc-8.6.5 won't complete its build phase
From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Leung <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 21:26:14 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Brian,

Brian Leung <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for your response. I've tried upgrading again and everything
> works fine. For whatever reason, when I tried upgrading last time,
> there was no indication that the tests ever started running, not even
> a couple of hours after the build phase appeared to reach 100%.

That’s certainly odd.  I would have expected it to indicate that it had
started the check phase.  Without a way to reproduce this, I doubt we’ll
be able to fix it.  For that reason, I’m opting to close this bug now.
However, if you notice anything like this again, we can always reopen
it.

> One last question: I notice from haskell.scm that "ghc" presently
> refers to ghc-8, which refers to ghc-8.4. If this is the case (I guess
> I'm probably wrong in my understanding), why did Guix choose to
> upgrade my installation of 8.4 to 8.6 at all?

The default GHC version for building Guix’s Haskell packages is 8.4.3,
but the newest version is 8.6.5.  When you tell Guix that you want “ghc”
it finds the latest version, rather than the version it uses for other
packages.  This is the same as GCC.  Even though Guix uses GCC 5 as it’s
default compiler, if you install “gcc-toolchain”, you’ll get version 9.
This all happens based on the “name” fields of the packages rather than
the Guile variables used to refer to them.  Hence the “ghc” variable
name is only meaningful insofar as it’s what the Haskell build system
uses as its default compiler.

-- Tim

Subject: ghc-8.6.5 won't complete its build phase
From: Brian Leung <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 11:06:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Upon upgrading with `guix upgrade`, ghc-8.6.5 is downloaded, but the build
phase seems to get stuck at 100%.