Subject: bug#36942: Reconfigure broke GRUB

From: [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2019 15:43:59 -0400

Hi ison,

ison <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm sorry to report that it actually didn't fix the problem.

I'll continue to investigate; perhaps I'll be able to reproduce if I
copy your exact partition scheme in the virtual machine. I'm sorry that
you had to go through that whole 'guix init' spiel again.

> Also I don't know why it didn't occur to me to mention this detail
> before, but the reason I previously thought the message mentioned in
> bug#36878 was important is because it's actually the very last thing I
> see on the command line after reconfiguring. The line I'm talking
> about is of course: shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let*
> ((services (map primitive-load (?))) # ?) ?)
>
> I'm pretty sure even if that message is normal, it's not normal for it
> to be the last line you see. Perhaps the reconfigure is dying at that
> point, or some point shortly after, without outputting any other
> errors.

Do you see a "bootloader successfully installed on ..." message earlier
in the output? 5c8c8c455 changed the order that things are done in so
that services are upgraded after the bootloader is installed.

Regards,
Jakob