Subject: bug#36941: Please include option to link to maildir files

From: Robert Weiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 13:53:57 -0400

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:22 PM Jean Louis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I use:  Editor:      GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X
> toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>
>         Hyperbole:   7.0.3
>         Sys Type:    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>         OS Type:     gnu/linux
>         Window Sys:  x
>         News Reader: Gnus v5.13
>
> I hope you know what are maildir messages. Each message is for itself
> within a maildir folder. I know that Emacs can display such messages.
>
> 'link-to-mail'
>      Displays a mail message with MAIL-MSG-ID from optional MAIL-FILE.
>      See the documentation for the variable 'hmail:init-function' for
>      information on how to specify the mail reader to use.
>
> MAIL-MSG-ID is not necessary for maildir messages, as it is almost
> same as link to file, the difference would be that some headers could
> be hidden and message or mail mode would be turned on. Messages could
> be replied, forwarded, etc.
>
> Maybe some action can be used for maildirs, just skipping the
> MAIL-MSG-ID. But it somehow need to know if it is maildir link by
> asking the user.
>

I am still unclear on precisely what you would want.

Do you want a Hyperbole action type that links to maildir messages where
you would specify the full path to the maildir message file and Hyperbole
would display the message in the mail reader that you assigned to
hmail:reader variable?  Then you could use that in explicit button and
implicit button type definitions.

Do you want an implicit button type that recognizes maildir message ids in
buffers?

Something else?

Bob