Subject: Re: bug#36941: Please include option to link to maildir files

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:20:03 +0200

* Robert Weiner <[email-masked]> [2019-08-07 04:33]:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 4:29 AM Jean Louis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >
> > That is why I suggested making customization group for buttons. As
> > that would easy everything. One can add Elisp function and link type is
> > added.
> >
> 
> Can you show a very simple example of what you want with a detailed
> explanation?  I did not follow your prior org mode examples in detail.  I
> don't understand that last sentence other than that Org lets you specify
> the type of link as part of the link text whereas Hyperbole doesn't embed
> the types in the buffer text itself.  Just produce a very simple use case
> and explain it step by step and then I will be able to tell what if
> anything is missing from Hyperbole now that you need to build what you want.

Request is for simple customization option so that new links and
button types can easily be customized and created.

Do this:

1. M-x customize-group RET org-link RET

2. Find "Org Link Abbrev List"

3. That is what Hyperbole needs, customization of links. Or maybe it
   could simply re-use Org functionality.

For example I could add a new link with protocol "SMS" and Value Menu
Format: SMS:%s

Or maybe new protocl "gpatent" meaning Google Patent with value
"https://www.google.com/patents/US%s"

Then if I make this link in Org:

[[gpatent:481550][Ore washer and concentrator, by Arthur L. Dana]]

It will be shown as "Ore washer and concentrator, by Arthur L. Dana"
and if I click on this link, I can see the Google Patent online.

However, web search is not as important: More important is elisp
functions. Than I would not need to work with Hyperbole intervals.

But functions are not well implemented in Org. They allow only
function without parameter.

What we need is link that allows parameters, which can be customized
to run on such parameter.

Synonym is <[Media]>: "~/Media"

However, that implementation does not look well.

As Hyperbola us using special file outside of the text to define
links, I see no reason why such links, even parameters could not be
defined in that separate file.

Even simple words could be defined in that separate file to be links
for something. Isn't it?

I could define word GNU in the directory, to be the link in the file
about-gnu.txt to https://www.gnu.org

Then for example, I could define word "notes" to be link to the action
"notes" with parameter ID: 123.

Jean