Subject: Re: bug#36940: tests slowness and failure after recent Tramp changes

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 21:16:09 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Paul,

>> If you want to run the
>> default tests, which are active while "make check", you must use the
>> default selector. See test/README.
>
> Thanks, I didn't know that. But that's confusing, as it's natural to
> assume that if FOO is an individual check, then 'make FOO' will run it
> the same way that 'make check' would. Would it make sense to change
> this test to be more natural?

It is intended this way. If I call 'make FOO', I'm interested in package
FOO. For example, because I have changed something in FOO, and I want
to know that I didn't break anything. Expensive tests are part of this.

This is the most applied use case of 'make FOO'. At least I call it
several times a week for exactly this reason. That's why we have the
behavior as it is.

All of this has been discussed already, somewhere in the emacs-devel ML
archives.

Best regards, Michael.