Subject: bug#36937: 26.1; Sending mails doesn't set From: correctly

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 16:04:11 +0100

On Tue, Aug 06 2019, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 06 2019, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Oh, I think it actually does not.  I almost always use Gnus, or
>> otherwise C-x m aka compose-mail which uses message-mode.  With
>> M-x mail, message-sendmail-f-is-evil does not seem to have an effect,
>> postfix always sees the user@localhost address then.  And this is even
>> the case in the emacs-26 branch.
>>
>> Jose, did you actually use "M-x mail", or did you use something else
>> which uses message-mode to compose and send the mail?
>
> I was using M-x mail.  I observed it first with message-mode, though
> (normally invoked from Gnus), but i'm almost sure it's happened with
> mail too.  Here in emacs-26, i've got message-sendmail-f-is-evil nil,
> and things are working properly (in that postfix is seeing the From:
> address... i use that to multiplex over several smtp servers).

Sorry, what i said before was not true.

In emacs-27, M-x mail is working just fine (i.e., the correct From:
address is seen by postfix).  The problem only happens when using
message-mode (either via Gnus or simply via M-x message-mail) to send
the email.  Setting message-sendmail-f-is-evil back to nil fixes it for
me too.  And setting it to t in emacs-26 reproduces the (to me) bad
behaviour too.

Cheers,
jao