Subject: bug#36937: 26.1; Sending mails doesn't set From: correctly

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 21:46:01 +0200

notfound 36937 26.1
found 36937 27.0.50
thanks

On 2019-08-05 19:00 +0100, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> This problem started happening in builds from master around 4 days ago:
>
> - start emacs -Q
> - M-x mail (or any other form of sending email)
> - Set a From: value different from user@localhostname
> - Send mail using local sendmail
>
> The mail is sent with a from header seen by postfix (i don't know about
> other MTAs) as user@localhost, instead of the From: i set in the
> headers.  By user@localhost i mean the unix username running emacs and
> the hostname as returned by hostname(1).  It seems emacs is just
> ignoring the value of From:, or setting it in a way postfix doesn't
> understand.
>
> I know almost for sure it's an emacs problem because emacs 26 or an
> earlier version of emacs-snapshot is working without problems.

Confirmed here, although it did not prevent me personally from sending
mail, since I had already set up postfix to rewrite such
user@localhostname addresses back.

Reverting commit 3a59cc840693 (" * lisp/gnus/message.el: Reduce
redundancy with send-mail-function") fixed the problem.  It looks like
this commit changed some important options and looks NEWS-worthy.

Stefan?

Cheers,
       Sven