Subject: bug#36925: closed (Re: bug#36925: guix pack -R or -RR will not produce outputs other than 'out')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 16:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36925: guix pack -R or -RR will not produce outputs other than 'out'

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36925: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36925
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36925: guix pack -R or -RR will not produce outputs other than 'out'
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:43:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:

> $ guix pack --dry-run -R ghc:doc
> guix pack: error: reference to invalid output 'doc' of derivation
> '/gnu/store/a0blj0d79mzgvb4fk8fkai51xjf68s7z-ghc-8.4.3R.drv'

Fixed in b908fcd8c02c26b1e6cdc636b63306a01a21b994, thanks!

Though note that there’s not much to relocate in ghc:doc since there are
no executables.  :-)

Ludo’.

Subject: guix pack -R or -RR will not produce outputs other than 'out'
From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 18:09:19 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This happens with all the packages I have tried. For example,
`guix pack --dry-run -R ghc:doc` fails with the message:

$ guix pack --dry-run -R ghc:doc
guix pack: error: reference to invalid output 'doc' of derivation
'/gnu/store/a0blj0d79mzgvb4fk8fkai51xjf68s7z-ghc-8.4.3R.drv'

I get similar results if I change -R to -RR:

$ guix pack --dry-run -RR ghc:doc
guix pack: error: reference to invalid output 'doc' of derivation
'/gnu/store/905g4g323i8ngdfnmqdgdm89z66ikj07-ghc-8.4.3R.drv'

However, if I leave out the -R or -RR flag, it succeeds:

$ guix pack --dry-run ghc:doc
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
The following derivations would be built:
   /gnu/store/4qnslab7r748r44ydc3zcni0zgfsicak-tarball-pack.tar.gz.drv
   /gnu/store/p3k0xh40ypv7vnvd70jarswn0yykvi8m-profile.drv
0.0 MB would be downloaded:
   /gnu/store/sw8vw31fnmfrjhb32sxvvy0yxrx9s1hc-mkfontscale-1.2.1
   /gnu/store/3rgvdjy72vqsv45f85b0phpirnzxb4w2-mkfontdir-1.0.7
The following profile hooks would be built:
   /gnu/store/1rlk94msgnanr5yyhmx5hck5b3xvsmxa-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/56qn66jcnwg8rkz7w0mfw0qkx1fx997n-ghc-package-cache.drv
   /gnu/store/8bpnr5pkzjnlj1zzrcjgr26x1yyyw82l-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/d7l70fw7zyg7mpkxnm87v69cphfi4s9z-fonts-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/f4xcbmbzzq32g8ywy8z96pyr89qni1g6-ca-certificate-
bundle.drv

The --dry-run flag is not necessary to replicate this bug. I included
it to keep success output short and (hopefully) help narrow down when
the bug happens.

-- 
-Jesse