Subject: bug#36924: closed (Re: bug#36924: GDM, GNOME Shell, etc. break when there are stale caches)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 22:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36924: GDM, GNOME Shell, etc. break when there are stale caches

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36924: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36924
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36924: GDM, GNOME Shell, etc. break when there are stale caches
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 17:39:24 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 at 12:07, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>> I am proposing to close if no objection.
>>
>> I agree because it is not actionable as it is now.
>
> Therefore, after some months without an objection, I am closing this old
> bug#36924 [1].  If I am missing a point, feel free to reopen.
>
> 1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36924>

Seems your closing didn't work, so I'm retrying here.  I suspect
d7e56aebec4535f3567c362b6084818873e54b0d ("Mount /var/lib/gdm on a tmpfs
file system") probably helped making this kind of issue go away.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: fixing GDM + GNOME Shell
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 23:00:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

Today I again couldn’t log into my workstation after upgrading the
system.  I’m using GDM + GNOME Shell.

At first GDM wouldn’t start.  I knew what to do: remove /var/lib/gdm,
because some state must have accumulated there.

GDM came up after a reboot, but I still couldn’t log in.  Instead I was
thrown back to the login screen without any error message.  I looked in
~/.cache/gdm/session.log for information, but it only told me that
gnome-shell was killed.  Thanks.

After removing both .local/share and .cache out of the way I could log
in again.

This happens whenever I upgrade the system.  This makes the system
rather frustrating to use.  I don’t know if booting into an older system
generation would result in the same problem, but my guess is that it
would because both GDM and GNOME Shell appear to be leaving some binary
files behind that cause different versions to crash unceremoneously.

What can we do to make GDM and GNOME Shell more reliable?

--
Ricardo