Subject: bug#36924: GDM, GNOME Shell, etc. break when there are stale caches

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:14:07 +0100

Hi Maxime and Liliana,

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 at 13:48, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> wrote:
> zimoun schreef op wo 23-03-2022 om 12:28 [+0100]:

>> Is it still an issue?

> IIRC, I encountered the same symptom (although perhaps with a different
> cause, and I did not know if was caused by upgrades) last time I used
> Guix System, which was in the 2022 or at least 2021, so I think it
> might still be an issue.  Or maybe it has been solved since then.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 at 21:22, Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, dem 23.03.2022 um 12:28 +0100 schrieb zimoun:

>> Is it still an issue?

> If I recall correctly, the offending caches have not been updated
> since, so the short answer is "we don't know".  The files in my
> /var/lib/gdm have some quite old dates, some of them ranging as far
> back as 2019, so I suppose there still exists an issue potential.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hum, do we keep a report open based on « maybe » or « we don’t know » or
« I suppose »?  It is an honest question and not a rhetoric one. :-)

Well, how is this bug report actionable?  Other said, what is missing as
concrete information for closing.

>From my understanding of your feedback, the current answer to « Is it
still an issue? » seems « no ».  It does not mean that a bug is not
around – so many bugs are around ;-) – but it means that this bug is not
a blocking issue, again from my understanding.

Could you confirm that the bug is appearing for you?  Else, let close it
and reopen once the bug appears.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon